Hybrid power plant employing electric motor and an internal combustion engine with a common drive to the propeller
Aeronautical and Space-Rocket Engineering
Аuthors*, **, ***
Moscow Aviation Institute (National Research University), 4, Volokolamskoe shosse, Moscow, А-80, GSP-3, 125993, Russia
The article deals with the issues of the appearance forming of aviation hybrid power plant based on an internal combustion engine and an electric power plant for light aircraft. This is an up-to-date subject in both Russia and the world with a view to the environmental requirements tightening and the possibility of new aircraft schemes realizing on the assumption of the latest technological achievements in the engine building, electrical engineering, and electronics. The article regards the results obtained earlier with an experimental all-electric light aircraft. The effort on the electric power plant brought the authors to the thought of creating a hybrid engine on its basis.
The hybrid system was being considered in terms of the possibility of increasing flight time while keeping the advantages of the electric propulsion system. The effort on the hybrid propulsion system was preceded by extensive experimental activities on the bench of the electric propulsion system with a propeller and further flight tests on a light aircraft. All pros and contras of the electric power plant were revealed in real flight operation. The simplicity and operational reliability appeared to be positive features, while negative features were low battery capacity and short flight duration, as well as relatively large battery charging time. When considering the hybrid power plant appearance, the article analyzed various internal combustion engines and characteristics of the electric motors suitable for application in aviation. The scheme of direct drive for both types of engines to the propeller was selected as the most advantageous in terms of the system efficiency. Operating modes of the hybrid power plant at various flight stages were selected when analyzing the light aircraft flight cycle. Special attention is paid in the article to the practical operation and assembly of a bench sample of a hybrid power plant prototype. An important task consisted in revealing all the problems and the possibility of synchronizing the operation of two engines of different types, combined in a hybrid power plant. A suitable easy in operation and of reasonable price home produced engine was selected. A type of transmission, and reducing gear were selected. A test bench with the possibility of its mobile transposition was produced. In the process of idea try-out, a testing plan had been formed, which was being adjusted as and when necessary while the bench experimental works. A possibility of synchronous operation of the two engines of various types was proved and several characteristics on the propeller rotations and thrust were obtained while the experiment. The obtained results may be employed in the future for the larger class aircraft. Experimental works are being continued.
Keywords:hybrid engine, hybrid power plant, hybrid engine control system
- Araslanov S.A. Aviatsiya obshchego naznacheniya, 2015, no. 6, pp. 33-41.
- Burov M.N. Avtomatizatsiya proektirovaniya, 2017, no. 3-4, pp.72-74.
- Khalyutin S.P. Aviapanorama, 2016, no. 6(120), pp. 42-51.
- Arep’ev A.N. Proektirovanie legkikh passazhirskikh samoletov (Design of light passenger aircraft), Moscow, MAI, 2006, 640 p.
- Dvigatel’ RMZ-500 C40500500-06 PX, https://rmdetal.ru/catalog/dlya-snegokhoda/modelnyy-ryad-tayga/tayga-varyag-500-klassika/dvigateli-rmz-500/dvigatel-rmz-500-c40500500-06zch.html
- Sychev A.V., Balyasnyi K.V. Modelist-konstruktor, 2021, no. 7. URL: https://modelist-konstruktor.com/razrabotki/nebesnyj-elektrolet
- Sychev A.V., Balyasnyi K.V. Dvigatel’, 2020, no. 4-6(130-132), pp. 48-49.
- Varyukhin A.N., Zakharchenko V.S., Geliev A.V. et al. Aviatsionnye dvigateli, 2020, no. 3(8), pp. 5-14. DOI: 10.54349/26586061_2020_3_5
- Yugov O.K., Selivanov O.D. Soglasovanie kharakteristik samoleta i dvigatelya (Aircraft and Engine Characteristics Coordination), 2nded., Moscow, Mashinostroenie, 1980, 200 p.
- A vmesto serdtsa ledyanoi motor. Za nauku, 2021. URL: https://zanauku.mipt.ru/2021/12/23/a-vmesto-serdtsa-ledyanoj-motor/
- Alekseev G.P., Mazover I.S. Spravochnik konstruktora-mashinostroitelya. V 2 ch. (Machine-building Engineer Handbook. In Two Parts), Leningrad, Sudpromgiz, 1961. Ch. 1. Rabochie tablitsy — 328 p.
- Kondrat’ev V.P., Yanpol’skii L.F. Samolet svoimi rukami (Airplane with your own hands), Moscow, Patriot, 1993, 208 p.
- Badyagin A.A., Mekhamedov F.A. Proektirovanie legkikh samoletov (Design of light aircraft), Moscow, Mashinostroenie, 1978, 207 p.
- Makarov Yu.V. Letatel’nye apparaty MAI: Ocherki po istorii razvitiya konstruktsii i sistem letatel’nykh apparatov (MAI aircraft: Essays on the history of the aircraft structures and systems development), Moscow, MAI, 1994, 254 p.
- Vislov I.P. Eskiznoe proektirovanie legkikh samoletov (Sketch design of light aircraft), Samara, SGAU, 2006, 81 p.
- Tkachenko A.Y., Kuz’michev V.S., Filinov E.P., Avdeev S.V. Aircraft target purpose impact on working process optimal parameters and power plant configuration. Aerospace MAI Journal, 2020, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 112-122. DOI: 10.34759/vst-2020-2-112-122
- Ezrokhi Y.A., Kalenskii S.M., Morzeeva T.A., Kizeev I.S. Distributed power-plant concept with gas drive of external fan module analysis. Aerospace MAI Journal, 2017, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 31-41.
- Skibin V.A., Solonin V.I., Palkin V.A. Raboty vedushchikh aviastroitel’nykh kompanii v obespechenie sozdaniya perspektivnykh aviatsionnykh dvigatelei <analiticheskii obzor> (Works of leading aircraft companies on ensuring development of advanced aircraft engines <analytical review>), Moscow, TsIAM, 2010, 676 p.
- Sahoo S., Zhao X., Kyprianidis K. A Review of Concepts, Benefits, and Challenges for Future Electrical Propulsion-Based Aircraft. Aerospace, 2020, vol. 7, no. 4: 44. DOI: 10.3390/aerospace7040044
- Finger D.F., de Vries R., Vos C. et al. A Comparison of Hybrid-Electric Aircraft Sizing Methods. AIAA Scitech 2020 Forum (6-10 January 2020; Orlando, FL). AIAA 2020-1006. DOI: 10.2514/6.2020-1006
- Romeo G., Borello F., Correa G., Cestino E. ENFICA-FC: Design of transport aircraft powered by fuel cell & flight test of zero emission 2-seater aircraft powered by fuel cells fueled by hydrogen. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2013, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 469–479. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2012.09.064
- Proizvoditel’ kontrollerov KELLI, https://kellycontroller.com/
- Aviagamma. Gabaritno-ustanovochnye chertezhi dvigatelei i agregatov ROTAX. Rukovodstva po ekspluatatsii dvigatelei ROTAX, http://www.aviagamma.ru/drawings.html
- V Rossii prodolzhayutsya ispytaniya gibridnoi letayushchei laboratorii so sverkhprovodyashchim elektroaviadvigatelem, SibNIA. 2021, https://sibnia.ru/institut/news/detail.php?IBLOCK_ID=4&ID=646
mai.ru — informational site of MAI
Copyright © 1994-2023 by MAI